Find our current challenge HERE
Find the latest winners HERE



Wednesday, 20 April 2011

MAKE A PHOTO BOARD

Click HERE for this weeks current challenge.

Half way through another week already. Where on earth does time go? This week we have a lovely photo board for you to make, lovingly put together for you by Debbie. These are so much nicer than a cork board and have all sorts of uses.
...................

This is my tutorial for making a photo/card holder for your wall.
I have used a bought canvas for this project but of course, you can use whatever size you prefer.


Paint your canvas your chosen colour. I have used Metallic Water Colours – Lilac for mine. Allow to dry. Now choose your colours of ribbons – I have used Grosgrain ribbon. It is stronger than most and does not fray easily.

For the first layer -
Lay your ribbons diagonally across your canvas starting in the middle and working outwards leaving equal spaces as you go. I have used 9 lengths of ribbon.


When you are happy with your layout lightly mark the edges of the canvas for the final position of the ribbons. Using a staple gun, pull your ribbon tightly and staple your ribbon to the wooden frame on the back of the canvas. Start with the centre ribbon and then continue stapling the ribbons until the first layer has covered the canvas.


For the second layer of ribbons –
Starting from the centre of the canvas again, lay your ribbons diagonally the opposite way to the first layer. This will create a ‘trellis’ pattern. Keep your ribbons at equal spaces again. I have used 7 ribbons on this layer.


When you are happy with the position of the second layer – mark the position again lightly.

Turn your canvas over and staple one end of the ribbon – DO NOT staple the other end at this stage. You will now need to thread the ribbon under and over the first layer alternating as you go.
Do this for all 7 ribbons.


The other end of the ribbons can be stapled once you are happy with the alternating – don’t forget to pull the ribbon tight before stapling.


Now you have a great photo/card holder.


I have used mine for holding cards I have made from The Crafty Pad Designs images.
I have also added a few photos of my beautiful grand daughter to show it can be used for either or both together.

So there you are. A lovely way to display your fave pics and cards. Don't forget to come and leave us a link to have a peek if you make one.

xxThe Crafty Pad Teamxx

3 comments:

aqualeiga said...

I really LOVE this! I have got all the bits I need to make this and as soon as we are back home I'm going to get cracking.) I have adapted your idea slightly, and bought fabric and wadding to make mine into a french memo board. :) Thanks so much Debbie for the fab inspiration. Hugs, Ali x

cgl1539 said...

I have seen these many times but didnt know how to make one. You are awesome to post this tutorial. First of the month I am getting the items to make this. Think I will make one for each of my teen nieces, they would love this in their fav colors. Thank you so much!

CraftCrave said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [21 Apr 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria