Find our current challenge HERE
Find the latest winners HERE



Wednesday, 23 March 2011

MINI POCKET BOOK TUTORIAL

PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR THIS WEEKS CHALLENGE.

Hi everybody. I hope you're all having a good week so far. It's time for another midweek post and this week we have another tute for you. I'm going to show you how to make a super little mini pocket book from a single sheet of paper/cardstock.

To make this little book, you will need a single 12 x 12 sheet of paper or light cardstock. You can use plain and decorate as you choose, or, as I have done with my finished book, use a sheet of double sided cardstock. I used a Scor-Pal for my scoring, but you don't have to have one of these. The pockets in this book are large enough to hold ATC's or photo's of a similar size.

Step 1. Score your sheet at 6" then turn your card over and score at 2" from each edge. (2" and 10" if measuring from left).


Step 2. Turn your card a quarter turn and score at 3", 6" and 9" (again measuring from left).


Step 3. Now, put a strip of narrow DST (or glue) along the short edges of the four corner scored rectangles.


Step 4. Fold up along the original 2" and 10" scores and stick down.


Step 5. Now, you will make your ONLY cut. Cut from one end up the original 6" score to the top 3" score line.


Steps 6 & 7. Accordian fold each side as shown, and then, making sure the pockets are on the outside, fold over and glue the parts marked A1 and A2 together back to back.


Your book is nearly complete now, but you will see that the back (where I'm holding it) is open and floppy, so you need to bind it.


There are various ways to do this, but I've given you 3 examples.
First, you can use a stitch binding (google a bookbinding technique). Apologies for this awful pic, lol.


Secondly, you can use your Bind-it-All which works really well. A word of warning though. If you have the original blue machine, (I don't know about the pink one) the book is too thick to punch in one go. Do the centre folds first and then making sure you're punching in the same direction, do the outside folds. You also, cannot turn the back round as per the usual instructions so your wire ends will still be on the outside. Twist them to the back and it looks absolutely fine.


The third option, and my favourite, is to simply glue the open backs together so you have a solid little booklet with no openings at the back or the tops/bottoms of the pages. After I'd stuck my pages together I decorated the book with a few stamps, some understated embellies and glued a strip of ribbon right around the book for a fastening. I printed off 8 photographs of my granddaughter to go in the pockets and gave it to my daughter to carry in her handbag.




So there you are. I hope you like it. It's a lovely little book and has all sorts of uses. Try it yourself and experiment with different closures and bindings.

See you on Sunday for the next Crafty Pad challenge.

12 comments:

aqualeiga said...

Wow Lorraine, this is brilliant! I am always looking for ways to store my ATCs and this way I can look at them easily, unlike when they are all stuck away in a box! I am also somewhat envious of your fabby score-pad too!!! Lol! ANOTHER thing to add to my 'wish list!'

Hugs, Ali x

maxine said...

This is great Lorraine I will have to try this x

Teresa said...

This looks beautiful, thanks for the tutorial.
xx

Debbie said...

Fabulous Lorraine - thank you so much. So clear and easily understood too. :) Another thing to go on my list. :)

Jayme said...

I posted this same project this week! Your tutorial is much better and book is super cute!! I can't wait for my score-pal to arrive!!! Beautiful!

cgl1539 said...

What a great little book and so easy. Thank you for the tutorial. I love your finished book!

CraftCrave said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [24 Mar 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Macpurp said...

this was a great tutorial! I enjoyed my first attempt.
love Teen x

Betty said...

Hi Lorraine
Wow thanks for this great tutorial its brilliant, will have to try this.
Thanks hun.
Betty x x

Diana said...

Sid from the UK had a link to this on his site.......Thanks so much for this great tutorial. I've made the mini maze book using the 12x12 and the same bssic cutting, but will definitly have to try this
Thanks

Sid said...

Hi, it's me.......hope you didn't mind that I linked to your tutorial on making the ATC on my blog. It is so clearly detailed !

Thanks

Sid xx

Gez said...

Wow! what a clever idea.